FREE Equine "Check-Up" Clinic -- One day "short course"
Donations for local non-profits will be accepted.
Do you regularly perform a "health check" on your horse, donkey or mule? What do you look for, test, or take note of, and WHY?!?
We'll discuss the WHY of it all as we work through the agenda below.
For those that like an early start, gather at 10 a.m.
- Record keeping -- what, how, where, WHY
- Equine behavior and safety -- gathering and working with a herd of 5+ animals, haltering and safe handling practices
- Equine vitals and health -- anatomy overview, temperature, pulse and respiration, capillary refill
- Colors and markings -- identification records
- BCS = body condition score
Then we'll break for a POTLUCK lunch on site!For those that would rather just join us for the afternoon session, we will start again around 2 p.m.
In the afternoon we will look at:
- Feed -- identifying hay 101
- Finish records.
- more BEHAVIOR observations and discussions about WHY.
Pending attendees preferences and abilities, options include:
- Round pen and lunging techniques
- Basic grooming and SHOW grooming
- Identifying common GAITS of an equine
NOTES: Please dress in layers -- this is Fall in CO,
And, if you are coming for lunch, please bring a dish to share.
FREE to all.Participation will be based on the clinician's personal experience / awareness of your ability to work safely around equines.
Hosted by the broodmares of Sisters Quarter Horses, LLC.
Supporting: Pikes Peak Therapeutic Riding Center, Ruby Ranch Horse Rescue, and Living Springs Ranch